Navigation

15 September, 2011

Tales of Xillia, Clear



So yeah, cleared Xillia.

It was... alright, I guess. Really not great. And I played it the way I always do and it was ridiculously easy compared to... pretty much every other Tales game I've ever played.

Story was okay but felt kind of lacking, characters were kind of bland except for that giant cunt Alvin, fuck him, battle system was fun. All round I'd say it was below average.

Sorry to be abstract here, but I just... didn't enjoy it anywhere as much as I did Vesperia or Graces. Playing it felt more like a chore than anything else.

Also yeah, 26 hours play time. What's that, HURRR TWO MAIN CHARACTERS MEANS PLAYTIME X2? Fuck that. Actually no, fuck you.

Ah well, will probably start on my second playthrough sometime later. Still have Hayarigami and Space Marine to play first.

Anyway, numbers:








Edit (16th September 2011):

Had some time to think over the game a bit more, some further thoughts...

-Battle system was really fun. COMBINATION ATTACKS EVERYWHERE.

-Dungeons were short, yes, but while it may indeed seem lacking, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact now that I've had some time to think it over, I have to say that I really prefer short dungeons to OH HEY HERE'S A FIVE-HOUR LABYRINTH WITH A MILLION ENEMIES.

-I liked how the enemies- ALL the enemies- Move slower than you on the field. You can outrun them easily if you don't feel like fighting any, and if you feel like grinding you can use a holy bottle to make them run away from you and just back attack them easily.

-Short dungeons and no five million unavoidable encounters per dungeon. In other words no padding. No dilution with unnecessary trekking and annoying encounters half a second before you reach the door. Yeah, I think that's a plus.

All that being said, though... It was still pretty disappointing. The characters were mostly bland, Elise (+ Tipo) being the only one(s) I actually really liked and Alvin being way too far down the opposite side of the spectrum (fuck that guy), the boss battles were all hideously underwhelming (and not just in difficulty), and most of all... the story kind of sucked pretty bad.

Sorry to use Vesperia as a measuring stick again, but yeah, it was way better than this. Except for the ending, of course. Seriously, fuck Vesperia's ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment