Navigation

27 December, 2009

Necron Monolith

I was rummaging through old photo folders when I ran into these, and figured I'd upload them.
A Warhammer 40K Necron Monolith. I've never actually played the game, but one of my friends from my school days did (and as far as I know still does) and used to bring those rulebook things with the background stories and stats and whatever. I flipped through some of them and loved the Necrons' setting (I mean, what's there not to love about Egyptian space necromancer robots?), and when I played Dawn of War: Dark Crusade I fell in love with them again.

And bought the hideously overpriced Monolith kit.

My exposure to model kits is usually limited to just snapping together and panel lining Gunpla, so a totally unpainted, cementing-required kit is pretty rare for me. This was only my second, in fact, after a Muv-Luv Kasumi garage kit that didn't turn out very nice (you can spot it all the way in the back partially hidden behind Sumika in the second photo here).

Thankfully it's not like the monolith requires any fancy painting, what with it being mostly just black with just a bit of stuff on the door.

Anyway, I modified mine to light up when plugged in to a USB power source (I also have a convenient battery-powered USB power source so it doesn't need to be near a computer to light up). Nothing fancy, just cut a hole in the back wall while building it for the cable, and another below the crystal for the light to get through. The end result wasn't as fancy as I'd hoped it would be, though, which I made up for with camera settings and ambient lighting in the above photos.

I don't suppose I'll ever build another Warhammer kit again, so this'll be my first and last. Not too bad a choice, I think.

1 comment: